Sunday, October 25, 2009

Wasn't this supposed to be on Paul?

Well, I figured that since I named my blog "Saul to Paul" I should make my first blog on the topic. I pulled out my Bible and started reading on the transformation Saul made to become Paul. I was all ready to pull up some history lesson on how the early Christians were persecuted by the priests in Jerusalem. Well, during the day today things changed.


It all started when my kids started watching Veggie Tales while my wife (the lovely Keriann) was at the store. I had just gotten Zoe (1) to sleep and the boys (Seamus, 4ish and Declan, 2) were getting antsy and loud. I decided to let them watch Jonah, a veggie tales movie. As I was watching the movie I began wondering why I always considered it a children's story.

Jonah was a profit. He spread God's messages all throughout Israel. He had a direct line to God. Jonah had discernment. When he prayed he knew it was God talking. That would be fantastic. The bible gives us a road map to follow for daily living. But what about those decisions that don't involve whether or not you should kill someone?

I am praying more and more everyday. Most of the time it is out of necessity but I am starting to pray more about the decisions that I make. What do I spend money on? What do I do if I'm offered a new job? These are the decisions that we make every day. Their outcome is very important. With or without God? I am sure it will turn out better if we choose with God.

I know that Jonah is supposed to show how God can love the Gentile not just the Jew and that we have to obey God's commands. The other side of the story I think is about how do we know what God's commands are besides the ten commandments. I know that I need to keep praying not only for God to show me what his direction is for me and my family, but also for me to be able to recognize it when he shows me.

That kid's movie sure got me thinking. Maybe next time I will write about Paul.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Casey, I enjoyed it. Very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how it is simply your heart on 'paper'. I can't wait to read more :)
    ~K

    ReplyDelete