Saturday, November 14, 2009

Peace

I am starting to love devotionals. We have a bunch lying around the house. There are a couple from James McDonald that contain a compilation of writings by different preachers. I can across something in one of them that started me thinking.

I knew that God was doing a work in my life. My stress about certain things seems to have been taken away the more I have found my self listening to good preaching or sticking my nose in the bible.

It was hard for me to explain but I picked something up that explains it. God doesn't always give us peace without but he always gives us peace within. I have come to the realization that God is the one who does good things for my family, not me. The events of the past few days have proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt. The past two weeks I have had two birthdays and I celebrated 5 years with the most wonderful woman the world have ever known. The problem is, we really don't have the finances to celebrate such things in close succession.

We made it through two birthdays and we were still alive. Now our anniversary was coming up and we had decided that we wanted to have a nice family dinner out. That would bring my wife and I much joy. The day before our anniversary we were blessed again by someone. These people have blessed us in so many ways I could not pass up the opportunity to bless them in any way I could. This also meant spending our anniversary dinner money. I didn't know how we were going to celebrate our anniversary but some time ago I stopped worrying about that kind of stuff. I knew that God would do as he always does.

Then came the next day. We were blesseed to the tune of 600% of our original blessing. I am still thanking God for the blessings he pours out through his servants.

Here are some verses I found from my "Slaying the Giant" cards I got from Dr J that deal with the kind of peace I am talking about. The card dealing with worry was perfect!

Psalm 43:5
Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God: for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God.

Psalm 55:22
Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.

Matthew 6:30
Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, oh you of little faith?

Philippians 4:6-7
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:19
And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

I Peter 5:7
Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

I have to admit that I took all these from the card I got from Dr J. If you want them see his website and purchase the Slaying the Giant scripture cards for I believe $2.00. I looked all over by bible for the right scriptures and then I remembered that I had these resources. They are fantastic.

Remember, God will always calm the storm within.

No comments:

Post a Comment